Making Participation More Interesting ~ Isabella T

Rex is an exceptional student of mine and has never failed to make the entire class laugh because he is very intelligent and knows how to play with the Spanish language. He does this in a way that isn’t distracting but actually helps the students to learn and understand that some words do sound similar and that there is a significant difference. It brightens my day especially when we are doing “la fecha” because I will ask the students how to say “tomorrow” in Spanish and Rex will raise his hand and tell me “manzana” and the entire class will erupt in laughter because they all understand that manzana means apple and that would be silly if it meant tomorrow. Rex will laugh and then tell me that he’s joking and the correct answer is “mañana.” I really enjoy being able to play with Spanish words because it helps students distinguish between similar sounding words and how understanding the difference will help in the context of a conversation especially when more difficult Spanish terms and phrases are presented!