Program Alumni

Tory Colbert
Language Teaching Assistant

I fell in love with Spanish while studying abroad in Salamanca, Spain in high school. While I am not studying Spanish at Michigan, A2LP allows me to practice my Spanish in a fun and unique way.

Elaina Rahrig
Language Teaching Assistant

Elaina Rahrig is a prelaw sophomore from Grand Rapids, Michigan studying political science and Spanish. On campus, she is involved in LSA Student Government, the Gamma Phi Beta Sorority, and the University of Michigan Women’s Glee Club. Elaina joined A2LP because she loves Spanish and working with kids. Her favorite parts of the program are singing the “adios” song at the end of each class in different styles (e.g. opera, rap) and getting to know the students.

Audrey Niemchick
Language Teaching Assistant

I am a Biopsychology, Cognition and Neuroscience (BCN) and Spanish major and have learning Spanish since I was in 8th grade. I studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain this past summer! I also taught Spanish to second graders when I was in high school. I hope to be a pediatric dentist one day, so it’s great to be able to work with kids twice a week. A2LP is an amazing program and I love my students!

Emily Roy
Language Teaching Assistant

I am a current Senior studying International Studies and Spanish. My love for Spanish goes back to grade school, which I hope to inspire in my fourth graders. I studied abroad in Barcelona my junior year, where I practiced my speaking skills. I have also used Spanish professionally while working for an immigration reform organization.

Haley Garner
Language Teaching Assistant

One of my majors as an undergraduate student was Spanish, so I decided to enroll in A2LP. I fell in love with the program and it was the biggest influence in my decision to become a teacher.

Jackie Alvarez
Language Teaching Assistant

¡Hola, Yo soy la Señorita Jackie! I’m an inner-city girl with a small town girl’s heart. I was born and raised in the infamous Motor City. I became bilingual at a very young age; I attended a Spanish immersion elementary and middle school. Through A2LP I am able to play in role in teaching students a second, or sometimes even a third language, and in doing so I believe that I am helping them become more apt to participate in a globalized society.

Maria Lopez
Language Teaching Assistant

My name is Maria Lopez. I am a junior at the University in Michigan, majoring in Spanish and minoring in Translation Studies. I am a native Spanish speaker and it is fulfilling to be able to share my language with others. I have been teaching 4th grade Spanish for two years now and I want to continue teaching after I graduate.

Sarah Musson
Language Teaching Assistant

I grew up speaking Spanish and English because my mother is fluent in both. I’ve been to Mexico (vacation) and Costa Rica (mission trip) and I plan to study abroad in Spain in 2017. I have six nieces and one nephew and I nanny in the summer, so it’s safe to say that I really like spending time with kids. I enjoy A2LP because it combines my passion for Spanish with my love for children!

Sarah Franklin
Language Teaching Assistant

Sarah is a Senior at U of M studying Spanish, Women’s Studies, and Linguistics. She will be studying abroad in Santiago de Compostela, Spain this summer to round out her language and culture knowledge. She loves working with children and hopes to continue doing so in the future.

Meagan Shokar
L2TA

Meagan is a senior, studying Cognitive Science: Language and Cognition. This is Meagan’s third semester teaching Spanish at Logan Elementary, where she had the distinct pleasure of moving with her third grade classes up to fourth grade this past Fall. Meagan plans to pursue a career in education, especially in language-learning contexts.

Carlos Van Wees
L2TA

A2LP has given me the chance to expand my teaching experience through actual classroom time with real students. The program helped me realize that I truly enjoy working with students of any age and that I might want to share my knowledge and passion of Cellular & Molecular Biology (my major at U-M) with others in my future. Although I am planning on going into secondary education, I feel like A2LP has given me good initial preparation on how to manage a classroom throughout a given lesson.

Erin Hescott
Alumni

Erin is a 2015 University of Michigan graduate with a Bachelor’s degree in Communications Studies and a minor in Community Action and Social Change, and works for an advertising agency in Chicago, IL . She has a passion for education and Spanish, and continues to work with youth in her community.

Emma Ward
Language Teaching Assistant

I am a sophomore majoring in Psychology and International Studies, studying different cultures with a focus on Latin America and Spanish. I have taken Spanish for six years now and love working with children, so this was a great program for me to try. I have enjoyed working with A2LP, it has really helped me to become less afraid of talking in public and I have really enjoyed teaching the children Spanish.

Daniel J. Weiss
Language Teaching Assistant

Hi! I studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain for 6 weeks my Sophomore summer and then in Buenos Aires, Argentina for 6 months in the winter of my junior year. Learning a new language opens up a totally different world from what you are accustomed to. Adjectives and nouns are switched. Things sound funny. You understand why foreigners talk the way they do. It is a bridge into another culture/way of life. That is part of the reason teaching these kids is so cool and why I chose to participate in the program!

Efrain P. Segarra
Language Teaching Assistant

I’m a senior in Physics, with a passion for Hispanic culture and language. A2LP is an amazing opportunity for anyone looking for some extra practice with Spanish to those who wish to pursue the education profession. It’s the perfect class to balance out the stress in your life – my students continue to surprise and make me smile.

Taylor Thorn
Language Teaching Assistant

I am a junior studying Spanish and Communications. I have loved learning Spanish since middle school and am very passionate about the language and culture. I have plans to study abroad in Santiago, Spain before I graduate. I have never taught before, but I was a nanny for several years for school age children. Experiencing Spanish as a student and a teacher has been a truly enriching opportunity.

Caroline Black
Language Teaching Assistant

I have been learning Spanish since I was in 4th grade, ten years ago. In high school, I lived with a family in Santiago, Panamá for two summers and volunteered at a center for malnourished children. I also did an exchange program with a girl in Madrid, Spain. These experiences have helped to foster my love of Spanish and I am now a Spanish Major at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor!

Meghan Berry
Language Teaching Assistant

I am a senior majoring in Spanish and Latin American Studies. I have been a summer camp director for the city of Ann Arbor for four summers, and I am really excited to bring that experience into the classroom.

Sharae Franklin
Language Teaching Assistant

I am a sophomore from Detroit studying Elementary Education. I have studied Spanish since first being introduced to it in middle school. I love working with children and watching them develop more confidence in their ability as learners but also as teachers as well; I am able to learn just as much from them as they may learn from me. They have shown me the importance of being flexible, prepared for the unexpected, and simply having fun!

Nicole LaPlena
Language Teaching Assistant

I am a senior studying Psychology and Spanish. My passion for Spanish language and culture began when I was in high school. I knew that I had to study it in college. I studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain the summer after my sophomore year of college and that passion grew even more. A2LP has given me the opportunity to combine two things that I love: working with children and Spanish.

C.C. Holbert
Language Teaching Assistant

I am an English major and a Spanish minor studying in the LSA Honors Program. I absolutely love the Spanish language and feel incredibly lucky to have had the opportunity to ignite this passion in younger students. A2LP is a great program that taught me a lot about what it means to be a teacher and gave me invaluable experience as an undergraduate.